Saturday, July 14, 2012

Summerfest 2012


Summerfest 2012

Just when I think I’m getting too old for this…I go and see 20+ bands over 7 days.  By my recollection, that could be the most I’ve seen in a long time, of not ever.  But enough of the chatter, let’s get to the rankings:

21. Ken Saydak Band – A blues band.  I’m sure they were very good, if you’re into blues, but this did nothing for me.
20. Animation – A Tribute to Rush – This was a cover band.  Only about half way through it, when I leaned over to Dennis B. and asked “are they only playing Styx cover songs?” did I realize that they were actually playing Rush cover songs.  Perhaps, had I known the band name…Which sent Dennis into a fit of laughter.  At least I was comfortable sitting on the benches with backs at the new BMO stage.
19. Moxy Roxx – Some unknown band that’s been around for a while.  They opened for Scorpions and were totally forgettable.
18. Ducky and the Vintage – Some band.  Played some songs.
17. Your Villain My Hero – This is the third year we’ve seen this band.  They play cover songs of Pop 20 for the last 5-10 years, with mostly newer songs.  Every year we see them, they get progressively less memorable.  Pam loves ‘em.  I don’t need to see them again.
16. Ours – Some band.  Played some songs.  Had a lead singer that sounded like a girl.  Me no likey.
15.  Wheelie Bar – Some band.  They were very non-memorable until their finale…where they sang about…MotherF$#king pizza tonight!  Yes.  A whole song about pizza.
14.  Chevelle – What?  Chevelle, a one-time #1 SF band falls to 16?  Well, I did just catch the finale of their show.  They played a slowed down version of Red (which is tough to do given how slow it already was) and finished with Face to the Floor.  Sandwiched in between was Comfortable Liar.  They still rock that song.  I love that they still play it.  Enough that they beat out 6 other bands with only 3 songs.
13. Fun. – More like Fun-not.  This show reminded me of watching someone sing show tunes for an hour.  They had a big crowd full of kids, and on their popular song the entire place exploded into song.  Kind of cool to see that many people singing along.  However, not so cool to sit through the rest of it.
12.  Silversun Pickups – They opened for Foo Fighters, and we actually showed up late.  I don’t remember any of their songs other than Lazy Eye…and they cut that short.  It didn’t help that we were waaaaaaaaaaaay back.
11.  Fools for Rowan – Ugh.  This band had some terrible sound.  I guess that’s what you get when you set everything up yourselves.  Get some Rhode’s to help you with sound checks!  Besides a couple of cute chicks, there was nothing else to note about this band.
10.  The Heroes Lie – This band was a Mike special.  They were okay.  Just a rock band.
9.  Dory Drive – I actually liked this band.  I didn’t know any songs, but they had quite the crowd show up, and sounded pretty decent.  I might be inclined to check them out at future SFs.

So, those were the “other” bands I saw at SF.  I saw them, so I ranked them.  The next eight were really the cream of the crop this year.  Every band I saw at the 10:00 time slot was awesome this year (except Fun-Not).  Two other non-headliners snuck into this group as well. 

8. Atmosphere – This band played at 6:30 on the Miller Lite stage.  They are a hip-hop/rap group.  For a 6:30 show, they were packed like a main headliner.  There were more people at this show than many other headliners I’ve been to.  They had a good sound to them…a change from the usual rock I listen to.  I’d go check them out again, but probably would not fight for a good spot.  Sitting back by the beer tent was just fine.
7. Art of Dying – I’ve seen them before, and was impressed.  So, I was expecting good things.  They put on a good show.  They may be the ugliest band out there, but they play well.  Top that all off with one of their groupies being off stage and flashing her ta-tas at the band, and you’re going to be ranked high.  Best song:  Get Through This.
6. Scorpions – I saw them two year ago when they came.  Mike’s brother was here, so we went to check them out again.  They were at the new BMO stage (which is a pretty awesome stage).  They played mostly the same songs, but the sound was so much better.  The drum solo sounded better, and was a bit shorter.  They still put on a pretty dam good show.  I probably won’t see them again, but I enjoyed them.  Best song:  No One Like You (really, take your pick…they’ve got a bunch of them)

Top 5!  I could easily interchange any on of these bands.  They were all absolutely awesome shows.  So, because I rank one higher than another doesn’t mean the show was bad.  I just have to rank them…

5. Adelita’s Way – This is a relatively new band to my listening.  I’ve heard them on Octane (Sirius radio), and started listening to them before they were announced at SF. (I give Pammy Paper credit for pushing them)  They had a world of difference in their stage presence and energy, when you compare to non-headliners.  The one downfall, was that I didn’t know their songs very well.  The sound was also a bit distorted.  We did get the fourth row, which was awesome.  I would definitely see them again.  Best Song:  Invincible.
4. Foo Fighters – My first show I’ve paid for at the Amphitheater for SF.  We were a bit far out, so the sound was a bit quiet.  However, they rocked.  That band put so much effort into every song, it was crazy. They played every song like it was their last one of the set.  They did play some effed up covers towards the end, but they played so long, that didn’t really bother me.  Best song:  One of These Days
3.  Hollywood Undead – We saw them last year, and they were awesome.  They delivered again this year.  They played some new songs (and some old songs).  They had some new band members.  While the sound was again off on one of the mics, they kicked butt.  It’s basically a group of guys just jumping around stage singing and rapping.  They did get a new lead singer on the high parts, and he was really good.  The crowd (all pre-teens) was also rocking.  If you looked back, all you saw was kids dancing and arms waving.  Perhaps the best crowd atmosphere of any of the shows we saw.  Best song:  No. 5 (nothing like hearing a crowd of pre-teens screaming “F^%$ ya bro, that p$#@y was bomb!”)
2.  Bush – I was torn here.  I think these last two bands were so good, I wanted to rank them both first.  I saw Bush last year at the Eagle’s Ballroom, so I figured I knew what we’d get.  They surprised me in that they played new songs they didn’t play last time…and they were all great.  They had the second best stage show, with lots of lights and smoke, and Gavin was all over and in the crowd.  They played all their favorite songs, so I could sing along on most of them, and their encore was awesome.  I would/will see them again, as they are just a great band to see.  Best song:  Afterlife.
1.  Skillet – After some thought, how could I not rank them #1?  Arguably the best stage show I have ever seen by a band, let alone on a side stage.  They have fire shooting out, fireworks, raising platforms, rising drum set that also spins, tons of lighting…Best.  Stage show.  Ever.  Throw on top of that, they have some pretty kick ass songs, and this band will always be ranked high, if not #1 every year.  And, like last year, I give them props for talking about God.  Not only are they a Christian band, but they aren’t afraid to say it in front of a packed audience…and the crowd went nuts cheering about it too!  They will remain a must see band every time they come.  Best Song:  Rebirthing.

Other Fest notes:

  1. Frolf was brought out on the last Sunday for two games only.
  2. Instead of Frolf, this year’s activity was…Build a treehouse!  With all the time off, the treehouse went from crazy idea to reality.  Thanks to those that helpd.
  3. Toppers was the post-fest food of choice.
  4. Rock band made a small appearance…Joan of Arre screwed that one up.
  5. Speaking of rock band…nothing like having a cop show up at 2:30 am to tell you that the neighbors are complaining about noise.  I bet the last thing that cop thought she’d see was a 36 year old answering the door with a toy guitar strapped on.


Until next year!

1 comment:

  1. Forgot my new favorite "concert is done, leave now" song...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPPt2U2aZjI

    ReplyDelete